Feature Films – Song of the Sea

A Feature Film currently in post- production. Directed by Tomm Moore. Art Direction Adrien Merigeau. Written by Will Collins. Music by Bruno Coulais and Kila. Cast: Lucy O’ Connell, David Rawle, Lisa Hannigan, Brendan Gleeson, Fionnula Flanagan, Jon Kenny, Pat Shortt, Liam Hourican and Colm O’ Snodaigh.

seal_cave- gkids_1
Check out Song of the Sea PRODUCTION BLOG HERE!

The story of the last Seal Child’s journey home. After their mother’s disappearance, Ben and Saoirse are sent to live with Granny in the city. When they resolve to return to their home by the sea, their journey becomes a race against time as they are drawn into a world Ben knows only from his mother’s folktales. But this is no bedtime story; these fairy folk have been in our world far too long. It soon becomes clear to Ben that Saoirse is the key to their survival.

Music for trailer is “Dees Tune” by kind permission of Kila

…….…….

Song of the Sea © Cartoon Saloon, The Big Farm, Melusine Productions, Superprod, Nørlum. All rights reserved

Post to Twitter

Comments

60 Responses to “Feature Films – Song of the Sea”
  1. Rachel O'Quinn says:

Hello! I stumbled across your short trailer for “Song of the Sea” some time ago. This film looks so sweet and touching. I showed the trailer to my mother and it made her tear up a bit. Even though my mother and I both live in the states, we are highly anticipating “Song of the Sea”! I wish you good luck and hope that you are able to complete it soon! I can’t wait!!!

Sincerely,

Rachel

2. jeremy says:

hey guys i love the song on the trailer where can i buy it. also i can’t wait for this movie to come out.

3. Elena says:

why don’t these amazing animation films get more notice in North America? Only through the Oscar nomination did i find out about the Secret of Kells and the rest of this wonderful, breathtaking animation!
    i hope you guys win the Oscar, the sheer imagination, creativity and originality involved in every one of these works is amazing!

4. Danielle says:

This has to be about the most beautiful thing I have seen in a long time. I can only hope that it will make its way to the States! I’m so glad you have gotten the nom for the Secret of Kells or I and I’m sure many others would have not discovered your amazing company.

5. Becka says:

Absolutely breath taking just from the trailer. It was a shame that Kells didn’t win but it only upped the bar for everyone. It i some hope that these kinds of films will show up more internationally for everyone.

I can’t wait for this I am utterly excited, I need ritalin.

6. Megan says:

Please oh please oh PLEASE let this movie come to North America!! I loved the Secret of Kells, and I would love to see Song of the Sea as well. The trailer is beautiful!

7. Barry Grant says:

Looks amazing. Can’t wait to see the finished film. The music is beautiful too. Have you thought about working with Stephen Shannon (Halfset)? He does some of the best instrumental music out there. A couple of his tracks are on vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/3264202 (solo) and http://www.vimeo.com/1799648 (with Halfset).

Best of luck with the new film. Kudos on the Oscar nomination. Keep the faith!

B

8. ClunyTheLoony says:

I want nothing more than to see The SEcret of Kells. But where can I get it in the US?

9. Nina says:

It’s really refreshing to see something so stand-alone-strong and breathtaking as this film (at least, that’s how I felt when I first saw this trailer…). The music is spot on with the mood of the animation in the trailer… i can really sense the whole mom-kid connection.

10. Ambra says:

I want this film. So sweet and tender, i show the trailer at my family and all my friends , everyone love it.

p.s. please scuse me for my english

11. This i really good work you do! I first saw the artwork to Secrets of Kells, and found your webbsite, very fine art! Never heard of you before, Pixar and Dreamworks dominate the world of animation today, but since you´ve been oscar nominated more fans will discover your films!

Ingemar Nystrom
    Illustrator and artist
    Sweden

12. Síofra says:

The song is ‘The Kissing Gate’ from Kíla. It’s on their newest album Soisín. It’s as beautiful as the drawings. Soooooooo looking forward to seeing this film when it’s made.

13. Paul Young says:

The DVD of the Secrte of Kells will be out in the US on the 1st of Octorber, Blu Ray also….

14. instrumental music is very soothing and relaxing.::*

15. i always listen to instrumental music whenever i want to relax.~”-

16. April Lisa says:

I just saw The Secret of Kell and I have to say I loved it. I hope that Song of the Sea will be just as good. I am looking forward to seeing it.

17. catherine says:

Hi April, thanks for that! We’re looking forward to it also!

18. Maya Brooks says:

instrumental music is soothing to the ear and is quite relaxing;~;

19. the best thing about instrumental music is that they are very relaxing `*`

20. I know this story and have been hearing it sense I was a lil one. I come from a very mix-cultural family here in the west coast USA, and I’ve only just started telling my son some old stories I was told as a child. Like the one of the selkies. It was always my favorite. So when I just chance walked into target today to pick up a family movie I saw Secret of Kell, which led me here! I really cant wait for you to finish this movie. My gypsie Family and I would love to see your take on the old myth! I’m so very excited and will tell everyone you are out here and need to be seen! Best of luck and kind thoughts! ~TM

21. Kade Fisher says:

This looks fantastic. I’ll soon buy The Secret of Kells, which looks fantastic from the trailer, and I can’t wait to see this. The animation is breath taking, the music is beautiful, and the stories are all brilliant. I’m dying to see it. My only let down is that Kells didn’t get shown in my town, mostly anywhere where I lived, which bummed me out. But besides that, I know these films will be groundbreaking. I hope to be a cartoonist when I’m older, and these two films prove why. Keep the great work up.

22. when i am relaxing, i would love to just hear some instrumental music instead of regualr music `:’

23. sara says:

Stumbled onto this by chance and wow, this looks beautiful. When is it going to be released?

24. Paul Young says:

Not for some time yet. hopefully 2013

25. Tanya says:

i’d love to read your blog if possible! Is there a way I’m able to do that? I’m denied access :-(

26. catherine says:

Hi Tanya

Unfortunately the blog is not available for public viewing just yet as Song of the Sea is still under development.
    We will let you know once it opens up!

27. Rich says:

I have no doubt that this film will be absolutely breathtaking, visually, like The Secret Of Kells. Once you get past the beautiful animation of The Secret Of Kells though, the story was rather boring, and not very entertaining. I hope that we have a great story, to go along with the great animation, in this film. I believe that this studio has the potential to be considered, as one of the best animation studios in the world, as long as it realizes, that gorgeous animation is not enough. Looking forward to seeing the film, when it releases.

28. ALia says:

i love it i wish you guys the best of luck!!! i hope one day i will become this talented in the world animation! keep it up

29. DJ Selchie says:

I am a HUGE fan of selchies (in fact, I can’t believe no one’s done a selchie movie before!) and am just -beside myself- that someone’s finally making a movie about them! ^_^ I cannot WAIT for your movie to come out, and am as excited for its arrival as a selchie would be to find her sealskin again. ^_^

Love the look and feel of this so far, and given the sound of it- can’t wait for the soundtrack, either! I just know it’ll be stunning, too. :)

Brightest Blessings and a Zillion Thanks for all Your Hard Work!

30. Normally I do not learn post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, very great article.

31. Sam says:

Sounds and looks so good! Can’t wait!

32. Bevis says:

I sort of discovered your blog post accidentally, but your web site captured my eye i thought that I would post to let you know that I like it.

33. Brandi says:

I can’t wait to see Song of the Sea! The Secret of Kells is so beautiful, it haunts my soul…

34. Mark Hall says:

I’m a student studying animation and I only just watched The Secret of Kells the other day! Shameful! xD your style is simply stunning, I can’t get how every frame is indeed worthy of being framed, they’re so inspiring! thanks you guys, can’t wait for song of the sea, looks like another winner :)

35. catherine says:

Hey Mark
    I am guessing your the one withe shame having not watched it until now right?
    Better late than never though

36. Neff says:

Hey guys, we would love an update, Im DYING TO SEE THIS FILM!!!! COME ON!! Pretty please with sugar on top, at least some concept art.

37. Peter says:

I hope things are still going well at Cartoon Saloon. Secret of Kells was gorgeous and I hope we’ll eventually get to enjoy Song of the Sea as well.

38. My family and I really enjoyed the Secret of Kells and look forward to your next effort! I would love to be part of such quality of work!

All the best,

Alain

39. Dizzy Doo says:

MY BODY IS READY. I’ll just be eagerly be sitting on pins and needles until this comes out.

40. Jennifeer says:

I have fallen in love with your movies, short films, and the music videos! I long anticipate Song of the Sea. American movies just do not compare. Our American movies lack creative styles and deep story lines (Well before the computer generated movie take over). Please keep it up and I hope to see Song of the Sea in the US!

41. Can’t wait! looks gorgeous!

42. Ria says:

What happened to this film?? Was it ever released?? What’s the story lads??

43. tomm says:

its in production … these things take time…

44. Charmian says:

Looks interesting. Sweet. Best of luck guys.

45. April Lisa says:

Like I said in my previous blogs, I am looking forward to seeing Song of the Sea. You don’t see good cartoons like this here in the United States.

46. Lynnberrie says:

I’m sitting eagerly in anticipation for this film. I was so happy when I got to see “The Secret of Kells” in my high school graphic design class. Your style of drawing and animation is gorgeous and the stories of selchies are some of my favorites. Everything you do here is gorgeous and I’m sure “Song of the Sea” is going to be another favorite film of mine.

47. My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I might check things out.

I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to looking over your web page again.

48. Pablo Matz says:

release date?
    Fecha de estreno?

49. Damien says:

I have a question. Will song of the sea be in theaters in arizona. I REALLY want to see it. Thanks!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] how Director Tomm Moore came up with his now signature animation style. While Moore and his company Cartoon Saloon aren’t, by any means, limited to one style of animation, they did decide for their next film, [...]

2. [...] their first movie’s success, the studio is working on a couple of other features, including Song of the Sea, which appears to be furthest along in production, judging by the footage seen above.The video is [...]

3. [...] the summary, according to Cartoon Saloon: The story of the last Seal Child’s journey home. After their mother’s disappearance, Ben and [...]

4. [...] dibujos animados se llevó una grata sorpresa cuando un estudio de animación irlandés llamado the Cartoon Saloon bajo la batuta de Tom Moore y Nora Twomey nos deleitaron con una aventura fresca, un estilo [...]

5. [...] at Cartoon Saloon where they’re putting the finishing touches to a new feature called Song of the Sea. Checking out his blog, I recently discovered these two excellent GIFs. They were created as covers [...]

6. [...] Cartoon Saloon from Ireland trailer for book of Kells and Song of the Sea [...]

7. [...] Kurzgeschichte zum Thema Selkie (siehe dazu auch den kommenden Film, Song of the Sea, vom Secrets of Kelts-Team) von Sofia Samatar, die dafür für den Nebula-Award nominiert ist (neben [...]

8. [...] been studying concept art from Tom Moore’s upcoming film, “Song of the Sea,” as well as “The Secret of Kells.” I’m interested in the way the artists use color palettes [...]

9. [...] Song of the Sea is an upcoming Irish animated film by Cartoon Saloon, directed by the Academy Award nominated Tomm Moore. A minute-long teaser is now available and it’s amazing! [...]

10. [...] Michel Ocelot che commenterà le proprie opere insieme al pubblico, il nuovo lungometraggio targato Cartoon Saloon ‘Song of the Sea’ (in uscita in Francia per il 10 dicembre) e, per i nostalgici: la [...]

11. [...] Song of the Sea is a 2014 Irish animated film directed by Academy Award Filmmaker Tomm Moore.  The film was produced by Paul Young and Claus Toksvig Kjar and written by Will Collins. The story has animation similarities from Cartoon Saloons previous work, the critically acclaimed, The Secret of Kells. The movie was released at TIFF on September 6,2014 and distributed by StudioCanal of the UK and GKIDS from the US. The Song of the Sea has had many positive reviews from, gorgeous artwork, storytelling from folk takes and magic and imagery. The movie currently hold a high 8.1 rating out of 10 from ImDb and is expected to be a contender in the list to choose for best animation at the Academy Awards.  The storyline is a character by the name of Saoirse  a child who is the last of the Selkies. The Selkies are a group of  women in Irish and Scottish legends who transform from seals into people. The story tells Saoirise’s journey from escaping from her grandmother and setting off to free fairy creatures trapped in a world of uncertainty. Being a fan of the movie, The Secret of Kells I’m very interested in seeing this movie and hope that to those who enjoy folktales and animation, will not pass up the opportunity to see an extraordinary film with high expectations and glamour. [...]